Friday Frost Park Sidewalk Chalking Challenge 9th & Commerce, Downtown Tacoma + April to October
Q: What is a Chalk Challenge?
A: Professional and amateur Cartoonists, Illustrators, Folk Artists amass in Downtown Tacoma's Larry Frost Memorial Park every Friday at noon for 1 hour to "compete" in this urban spectator sport for the mythical title of Best Illustrator in the Universe, but mostly to hang out and dazzle each other.
Chalking Information Kiosk
- How do I Sponsor a Chalk Challenge?
- Flickr Photo Pool | SLIDESHOW
- Battle Art Gallery
- Frost Park's Greatest Hits
Official Rule Book
Now I don't know how you came across the information contained in this weeks Flying Turtle Post Intelligencer, but know this: If you were never a special person, you are a special person now. Hello seeker! Please read furiously these official rules to give your sidewalk chalk art the competitive and philosophical advantage in the upcoming Chalk Challenge.
Professional Art Advice
One sees clearly only with the heart, anything essential is invisible to the eyes. - Fox's Secret
Expectations of a Winning Chalk Art Entry
- has loose Tacoma oriented theme
- is conducing to feelings of moral uplift
- does not frighten small children (unless of course it does)
- points awarded for originality or cleverness
- humor is encouraged
- performance/showmanship skills a must (Remember normal people have come out to see a show)
- use of glitter is forbidden
Keeping Your Entry "On Message"
Envious marketing personnel will shout from the boundary of your chalk art action area trying to confuse you and throw off your game. A champion must show steely resolve to resist their malignant influence.
Super Delegate Participant Judges
We use a special computer program to assign civic players the role of chalk art judges who are also encouraged to enter as chalk art contestants as well which would seem to be a conflict of interest were it not for our devotion to the honor system.
Your role as a Super Delegate Judge is to provide onsite opinions, critique and or encouragement to other participants. Your experience will help steer the popular vote.
The Popular Vote
The title of Champion will be decided by popular vote. All chalk art will be documented online at Feed Tacoma where you and company will cast votes via comment thread with your personal conviction to the matter. As commenter, you elect TACOMA'S BEST ILLUSTRATOR IN THE UNIVERSE OF THE WEEK.
Limitations by Time
You must stake your claim on a slab of concrete at high noon. You have one hour to complete your chalk entry. After 1PM, any stragglers will be mercilessly frowned upon by other contestants. Yet, we acknowledge that life happens and you must follow your own path, so don't poop your pants over the time limit.
Limitations by Space
If you can't fit your chalk drawing on one slab, other contestants might think you're showing off by breaking the fourth wall or going meta on us so try and contain yourself; however, there is the compelling design reason loophole which you can evoke if others are busting your chops. Just don't use glitter. OK?
Notes on Dealing with Civilians and other Pedestrians
When your canvas is a sidewalk expect that people will walk on your artwork. In some chalk art cultures this is considered good luck. Unless they step on your hand or drag their feet over your newly sprinkled glitter patch, try not to be a jerk about it. If it helps try closing your eyes and thinking stuff like:
we have to live in the world we're given.
The Chalk Champion's Burden
Being voted TACOMA'S BEST ILLUSTRATOR IN THE UNIVERSE (T.B.I.U.) is no cupcake walk in Frost Park let me tell you. Although, I RR Anderson, have never carried this burden myself I imagine it is a lonely struggle. For next week the masses will gather and some snot nosed hot shot will snatch all your glory away in a chalk dusty whirlwind.
Sure you'll have all the perks, fame and money enjoyed by the T.B.I.U. alumni, but what about me? You probably don't even care. And that's crap.
Remember: production + filtering = community.
SEASON 004, Frost Park Chalking Legends 2011
SEASON 003, Frost Park Chalking Legends 2010
- Dave Lisiecki, kalakala master
- Laura Hanan, color+hat master
- Jeremy aka "The Garfield Kid", master of benign copyright infringement
- Adam the Alien, master of video blogs
- Electric Elliot, master of tim eyman and all things melon related
- Teddy M Haggarty, master of teapot shaped coffee houses
- Professor Andrew Fry, origami master
- joel413, secret city master
Salty Chalk Jargon Explained
- One who chalks.
- See chalkie.
- Flub the Stump
- To injure oneself by scraping finger pads harshly while manipulating chalk of insufficient size.
- Chalk N00b
- A rookie chalker.
- One who wont shut up and let you draw.
- Hired muscle.
- Human Bean Juice
- Getting dizzy, not drinking enough water.
- Sea Legs
- Falling off the curb into the street.
- Powder Puff
- Too much beauty bark stuck in a off-road sandal.
- Greatest Illustrator in the Universe (of Tacoma)
- Usually Andrea
- Somebody who achieves their dreams and is genuinely loved by their family.
- "Crack Kills"
- What you tell a pretty girl when you can see her posterior attributes.
- Log Jammer
- One who steals your chalk without permission.
- A dead pigeon or 'bus person' face down in the water feature.
- Chalk Fop
- Anyone who uses a ruler to draw strait lines.
- Noodle Hunter
- A buxom woman with a mental illness.
- Type Dandy
- One obsessed with perfect typography.
- Line Dandy
- One who draws slowly.
- Black Dandy
- One who uses way too much charcoal.
- Sod Dandy
- One who loafs on grass.
- Squawk Chopper
- One who yells while chewing chalk sticks.
- Pickle Inspector
- One who is picky about chalk stick they select from box.
- Knob Thief
- Unwelcome use of your chalk nub.
- Poop Turtle
- A piece of gum stuck on a sidewalk canvas.
- Hat Clap
- Handprint left by chalkdust on your hat (or bikini area).
|Magic Item Description||Vote Bonus Value||Game Play|
|YELLOW SHIRT OR HAT||+1 vote||UNLIMITED|
|IRONIC HAT||+2 vote||UNLIMITED|
|TAGRO HAT||+1 vote||UNLIMITED|
|TAGRO NECKTIE||+50 votes||UNLIMITED|
|NOVELTY PHOTOGRAPH T-SHIRT OF YOUR FAVORITE CITY COUNCILMAN||+300 votes||UNLIMITED|
|GENUINE LETTERPRESS OPERATOR'S APRON||+16 votes||UNLIMITED|
|FALSE MUSTACHE||+70 votes||UNLIMITED|
|NUDE ANKLES||+10 votes||UNLIMITED|
|DAVEY CROCKET COONSKIN CAP||+15 votes||UNLIMITED|
|FLIP FLOPS||+8 votes||UNLIMITED|
|TWO DIFFERENTLY COLORED FLIP FLOPS||+10 votes||UNLIMITED|
|SURPLUS SOVIET MILITARY MEDALS||-1 votes||UNLIMITED|
|RAINBOW SUSPENDERS||+3 votes||UNLIMITED|
|PAPER AIRPLANE STUFFED IN LEFT BREAST POCKET||+7 votes||UNLIMITED|
|PANT LEG STUFFED INTO SOCK||+2 votes||UNLIMITED|
|BIKINI & MOONBOOTS COMBO.||+10 votes||UNLIMITED|
|MORMON UNDERWEAR||+6 votes||UNLIMITED|